What if your data get damaged or stolen? What if you put your valuable effort into saving any important document but could not keep it secure from attacks and breaches? So here comes the vital role of ethical hacking that is aimed at keeping important data, documents, and valuable information safe from every kind of cybercrime. The primary benefit of ethical hacking is to prevent data from being damaged and misused by malicious attacks.
Ethical hacking is becoming an essential strategic step for every organization as it helps them stay in the market with secured steps and a firm grip in their field. Therefore many big names, such as Google, Instagram, Uber, yahoo, etc., are willing to invest more in ethical hacking to keep their valuable digital assets safe. Even many governments are also using State-sponsored hacking to prevent intelligence information about influence politics, an enemy state, etc.
As the rising cybercrime can impact national and international security in the future, Ethical hacking works as a safeguard of computers, systems, and networks from blackmail by the people who want to exploit the vulnerability. So there are several jobs in ethical hacking waiting for the right candidates who are certified as well as experienced. That is why many people are searching for ethical hacking free courses to gain basic knowledge of ethical hacking to land a successful career in this domain.
In this article, we are going to know about ethical hacking.
An authorized attempt to acquire access to a computer system, network, application, or data is considered ethical hacking. It aims to identify holes that a potential attacker could utilize to either exploit or harm an organization’s infrastructure, system, or application. It can go around a system’s security mechanisms to identify data breaches, vulnerabilities, and potential cyber threats.
Penetration testing, which is allowed by the owner of the target system, is another name for ethical hacking. Additionally, it entails making an attempt to hack the system and recording each step. The main goal of ethical hacking is to strengthen system or network security by addressing problems or vulnerabilities discovered during testing. Ethical hacking aids in staff training regarding cyber security issues, so they don’t fall for cyber-attacks or phishing scams.
Key Concepts of Ethical Hacking- Becoming an ethical hacker is a tough job. So understanding the following mentioned ethical hacking key concepts are essential to become an expert in this domain. So ethical hacking involves-
- Scanning- Scanning is the first basic step of ethical hacking that identifies the target network, systems, networks, devices, and other connected configurations. This basic information is essential to find out vulnerabilities and determine what type of ethical hacking can be implemented on those devices.
- Enumeration- Enumeration is all about the collection of information about the target network, like user name and password that can be used in further stages of an attack.
- Exploitation- It’s also crucial to understand exploitation, which is using a device’s weakness to take over that device or obtain access to sensitive data.
Types of Ethical hacking- As it is already known that ethical hacking is a complex process and a versatile field that involves multiple skills, methods, and techniques to test security. There are many types of ethical hacking that are used for different purposes, such as how the hack might happen and what the damage could be. Here are some popular types of hacking that are widely used by hackers.
- Hacking via Black-Box Testing- The hacker in this kind of ethical hacking is unfamiliar with the system beforehand. In essence, it has to do with the outside of the system before breaking into it by sheer force; for instance, if a website is being tested, it’s important to know what sort of server it’s running on and what programming language was used to construct it. Black-box testing is used to locate weak points in a network or system’s security that an intruder could use.
- Hacking via White-Box Testing- In contrast to black-box testing, the hacker knows every aspect of the system, including how it functions and any vulnerabilities, before attempting to break into it. Before releasing their systems into production settings where hackers might try to attack them, developers test how well their systems perform under stress.
- Hacking via Gray-box Testing- This kind of hacking combine’s black-box and white-box testing, where the tester is aware of some aspects of the system but not all of them. They, therefore, use their technical expertise and deductive reasoning ability to identify weaknesses in the network or system being evaluated. Gray-box testing simulates hacking by performing usability, security, and performance tests.
- Hacking Wireless Network- It is also a step in the hacking process to gain unauthorized access to a computer network, usually by finding security holes in the system.
Ethical Hacker- Ethical hackers are hacking professionals who hack the target system before any harmful hacker can. They allow the security team of the organization to apply a security patch in the system and effectively restrict an opening for the attacker to enter the system or execute a hack, attack, or any damage. They discover vulnerabilities from an attacker’s point of view so that weak points can be fixed. So they can use the same methods, tools, and techniques used by the malicious hackers but with the legal permission of the authorized person to improve the security and defend the system from attacks by unauthorized or malicious users.
Ethical Hackers are also known as “White Hat “hackers who perform security assessments with prior approval from the organization. They determine the scope of the hacking process or assessment to remain within the boundaries. They also provide remediation advice for solving vulnerabilities.
Besides these lines, there is much more to know deeply about ethical hacking. If someone wants to make a career in cyber security domain, opt for any reputed free courses and kick start your career with a sound knowledge of ethical hacking tools and techniques.